Montag, 29. Juli 2013

Overview over Galaxy Conquest games

Hello visitors!

Have you ever played this kind of game, where you start with about one planet that produces ships and you have to conquer the rest of the planets in a given galaxy with those?

I really love this simple but addictive types of games, especially after I got the game Starlink for free as the app of the day in the amazon appshop.

After I spent a couple of hours playing it I felt the need for a game like this on my linux pc, but sadly I did not find any free/open source games out there.
Here is what I found as alternatives though:

  • Pax Galaxia by Sillysoft. It's pretty old as of now, but since the game does not need a lot of graphics it could compete easily with the others - if there weren't the 20$ they still demand for this game. I still mention it because it can be seen as a forerunner here.
  • GalaxIR by smyno (I think he called himself meryodev before) is an Android only app. I started with this game and the demo is already pretty good as well as it also features a multiplayer mode for 2 players via bluetooth.
  • Galcon or Galactic Conquest and Galcon Fusion by Phil Hassey are established trademarks in this field. The games are available for almost every platform (even palm) out there and costs around 10 bucks (at least on steam). There will also be a sequel to it - Galcon 2 - which already successfully absolved its kickstarter campaign.
  • Starlink by Tasharen, which I already mentioned. It costs between 2$ (mobile) and 4$ (desktop) and is available for android (google, amazon) and every desktop platform, purchaseble via Desura. A demo can be found on the developer's website.
  • Auralux is an incredibly beatiful games which also adds on-way battles instead of just planteside battles to the game. Unfortunately only supports iPhone, Android and Windows - but it's completely free (as far as I could see)
  • Currently, I am playing Eufloria. It has a pretty cool story mode and some funny additins, like upgrades. Unfortunatley, on smartphones (where I am playing on), those extra features make the game a bit quirky to control sometmes. It is sill worth the time, although 15€ on Steam (windows only) seem a bit expensive. It is also available on iTunes for 4.49€, Google Play and Amazon Appstore (2.99€ each).
Then, there are other games which can somehow be compared to this kind of game.
  • One example is Gratuitous Space Battles by Positech games. Usually it costs between 15 and 17 dollars, but is currently (25th of July to August 1st 2013) available in the humble bundle weekly sale for less than 4$. It's more extensive and doesn't focus on my type of gameplay explained here, but especially the dlc "galactic conquest" looks familiar in the overview map with what I've been doing.
  • Another game I found interesting and I wanted to play while researching was "Risk". It is turn based and thus fairly different, but may suit your taste if you liked the above games. Here is a video which attracted me and there is also the steam page of the game, where it is being sold for 10$ (or 10€ in my case)
  • Maybe you want to have a look at star twine. It's beautiful, though it didn't really appeal to me as far as gameplay is concerned. Price: 10$ and only windows is supported
  • Osmos, by hemisphere games. You are a cell-alike bubble and need to get bigger until you finally dominate all other bubbles on the field. There is not much left of the original priciple of the games above, but I can really recommend it. Available for all platforms, somewhere between 2 and 10 dollars for the mobile and desktop versions.
I hope I could give you an overview over all the available games. If you have a game to add here, leave a comment.
Until then, yours
suluke

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Thanks for spending time on giving me feedback. I really appreciate it :)